Friday, January 7, 2011

Where do I go from here?

Not to long ago I was asked if Wheeling Chef was just established as  fund-raising activity or was it an actual start up. That question gave me pause, yes Wheeling Chef  was started as a way to supplement my income, then took on a bigger role when I discovered wheelchair fencing. So yes Wheeling Chef was started as a fund-raising activity, but then again aren't all business intended to raise funds for those who own them?

I've thought alot about what and where I want to take Wheeling Chef  and what I really want to do is help other disable people supplement what income they do get  with employment at the wheeling chef. I've thought hard about how to do this and it can be done. The recipes can  be broken down into simple steps, with modifications the whole process can allow individuals with varying disabilities to work the production line.
Why do I want to even consider something like this?
Social security benefits don't go very far and never have. Once i've paid rent, food and utilities there is not much left in the bank account, a part time job goes a long way in putting some money in ones pocket.
I saw on this mornings news that unemployment has actually decreased, that great, but according to a  Bureau of Labor Statistics the Unemployment rate for persons with disabilities is 65%
If I can help a person gain a sense of self worth by giving them a chance to earn a paycheck then I'll do it.

With all the talk over the past year about getting Americans back to work,easing the burden on the Social System  and stoking the fires of the engine of small business to get the economy  going again. One day I will find a "business angel" To  move what was an experiment out of desperation into a unique business that provides a great product and offers a hand up to rather then a hand out to others, and of course help me make a living.

1 comment:

  1. You are truly an amazing and admirable man. You know the rest. S.

    ReplyDelete